How do I obtain a Hot Work permit?
Hot work permits are required for any welding, cutting, torching, brazing, soldering and other related activities. Hot work permits are also required for any grilling or frying on campus. The permit may be obtained from the University’s Fire and Life Safety Office during normal business hours.  Arrangements can be made for emergencies and for jobs needing to be completed during the weekend. For more information about hot work permits, see the Hot Work Program link.

Where can I find information on AED's?

NC State is committed to maintaining the safety and well-being of all students, faculty, staff, and visitors on campus. The offices of Emergency Management and Mission Continuity, University Police and Fire and Life Safety are partners in the promotion of a robust Public Access Defibrillation (PAD) program, which includes Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs). Visit https://emmc.ehps.ncsu.edu/aed-program/ for full program information.

Where do I get a fire alarm disconnect from?

Fire alarm disconnects need to be coordinated through either Construction Management (5-6380) or Electronics (5-2991).

Who are the persons that inspect residence halls, apartments and Greek houses on campus?

Housing and Greek Life locations are inspected by professional staff from Housing and GreelkLife .

Do all buildings have fire alarms?

NC State Law requires campus buildings to have fire alarms. All administrative and residential buildings at NCSU that are required to have alarms are equipped with alarms.

Do all buildings have sprinkler systems?

All new construction on campus has a sprinkler system. All residence halls and apartments on campus are equipped with sprinkler systems. Some older buildings have been retro-fitted with systems, but at present not every building has a sprinkler system.

When are fire drills scheduled?

Fire drills are not scheduled. According to North Carolina State Law, drills shall be held at unexpected times and under varying conditions to simulate the unusual conditions that occur in case of fire. North Carolina State Law requires that all non-residential buildings with fire alarm systems have annual emergency evacuation drills. Residential buildings with fire alarms systems are required to have quarterly drills (four annually). Additionally, education type buildings, such as the daycare and the high school, are required to have monthly drills. The Fire and Life Safety’s Office maintains records of all drills.

How often are buildings inspected?

All campus buildings are inspected annually by North Carolina State University’s Fire and Life Safety Office. In addition, the North Carolina Department of Insurance, Office of the State Fire Marshal, and a private insurance carrier also inspect the campus. Buildings are inspected according to the North Carolina State Fire Code, University Rules and Regulations and National Fire Protection Codes.

My office is cold. Can I have a portable heater?

According to NC State Law, portable heaters cannot be placed in state-owned buildings as they pose a threat to safety. The only exception to this law is when the building’s main source of heat is inoperative. It is possible to have a heat study completed to determine if the building heating system is adequate. Have your building liaison complete a work request to have a heat study or call the Customer Service Center directly at (919) 515-2991.

Where do I get a fire alarm disconnect from?

If I see a fire, can I use a fire extinguisher?

Pull the fire alarm first!!!  According to NC Occupational Safety and Health Administration, persons must receive training prior to utilizing fire extinguishers. If you are not trained, contact your manager. Training classes are available from the University’s Fire and Life Safety Office.

Why does the fire alarm always go off?

Fire alarms activate because a smoke or heat detector has been tripped or a pull station has been pulled. If you hear a fire alarm, leave the building immediately. Take the nearest exit and do not re-enter the building until given the “all clear” by fire, police or the building marshal/ building liaison. Do not wait to see if it is a false alarm.

Ways to prevent accidental activation or nuisance alarms:

  • Do not smoke or perform work that generates smoke near detectors.
  • Watch what you heat! Stay in the kitchen when cooking. Do not allow food to burn or overcook. Cooking is the leading cause of nuisance alarms on campus.
  • Obtain a fire alarm disconnect when work may cause an alarm.
  • Take care with any operation which may generate steam, smoke or dust. Be aware of smoke detector locations. The smoke detectors are sensitive and they will activate easily. Steam from a shower, hairspray, smoke caused by blow dryers, curling irons, or flat irons, or burnt popcorn may cause activation.
  • NEVER tamper with fire protection systems. Do not remove or cover a smoke detector or sprinkler head. This is against North Carolina State Law. The removal of a smoke detector will send notification University’s Fire and Life Safety Office and possibly activate the fire alarm.

Can I store my bike or other materials in the stairwell and hallway?

No. By North Carolina Building and Fire Code, all egress pathways out of a building must remain free and clear of obstructions. Store supplies in designated areas and bikes in the racks provided outside the building.